Food For Thought - Go Further With Food
March is National Nutrition Month, a campaign created annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This year’s theme, Go Further with Food focuses on eating and movement practices that fit you. Key messages this year include:
· Make food more sustainable. Reduce waste by checking the freezer and pantry for what’s on hand before you shop. Keep a corner in the pantry for items that can go to local pantries, like BEAM. Pick up at local farmer's market or from the garden.
· Plan meals and snacks for the week and buy only what you need. Use those leftovers later in the week. Involve the family in planning and don’t forget to include dining out on those nights that are filled with activities outside the home. Ellyn Satter has great tips on feeding the family.
· Include a variety of foods from all food groups. Shake up the menu with a new spice. Trader Joe’s has a few favorite blends including everything bagel topping. Works well on pasta and eggs. Trader Joe's
· Find movement that you enjoy – Check out a yoga studio who often has specials for first time visitors, like 5 classes for $25 @ Red Skies Yoga
· Consult with one of our Registered Dietitians who can help you plan menus, grocery shop, and prepare foods to fit your lifestyle in our kitchen. Johanna can help you navigate foods that fit for diabetes while Stacia is a whiz at incorporating more plants.
Check back in March for more ways to Go Further With Food!